Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The unbearable arrogance of being. On Twitter. To complain about it.


Even thought the metrics-obsessed Media Twitter totally knows that Twitter is not great for referral  traffic for news sites, because, you know, they are looking at their numbers, the Twitterati were nonetheless all sharing an essay in the Atlantic about how Twitter is not that big when it comes to traffic. 

So, just in case, let's be clear about something: If you're only using Twitter to increase web site traffic, you're doing it wrong.

I know this (Media Twitter knows this too!) because of how we use Twitter, and there are so many ways to use it that it's become invaluable. It's our breaking news reporting tool, basically. We use it for live coverage (and, yes, feed our website with updates thanks to our live page that uses Scribblelive, which creates tons of traffic and time on site); we use it for chats, to gather news, to crowdsource and curate information.


And! It can also be used in other ways. The Pet Contest we just had? Live-tweeted AND fed to our site, and it was a big success.


But wait! There's more!

 I applied to the Google Glass Explorer program via Twitter. That's how I was able to participate. I've learned invaluable lessons from years(!) of participating in the web journalism chat #wjchat (Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET. I'd also like to think I've contributed a bit), which is also the inspiration for #dfmchat. I've struck a partnership with startups here and there (those quizzes you like so much are one such occasion). A number of features that you've enjoyed in the Freeman are a direct result from being OF Twitter and not just on it. And if you think about it, this very feature, Yesterday's Internet, Today!, is a byproduct of Twitter. 

And I haven't even mentioned this cat.

So, yeah. Go ahead and tweet just for traffic LOLOLOLOL. Good trolling, though.
But srrsly, don't make me write these </rants> again. 

***

The Four:

* Ex Kingston top cop Tim Matthews is out and I'm pretty sure he's happy about it and I'll be happy once I don't have to keep updating the timeline.
* The Perennial Catskill Mountain Railroad Debaters are happily perched in this letter at this moment. I told you I could write that sentence every day. I just have to change the link.
* The Perennial Catskill Mountain Railroad Debaters are ALSO doing their thing here. This train never stops.

One cat: Don't tweet, kitty. Just don't.




One Google Glass photo: I went to the New Haven Register last year to do some journosaucing and I put my Tweetdeck on the big screen. I like big screens. 



Yesterday's Internet, Today! got all rant-ish today but it still managed to give you the links I found interesting the day before or in the morning. You also received the four stories trending at the Freeman while I was ~writing~ this and a cat and a Google Glass photo because of course you are going to get a cat from me and I still wear my Google Glasses at night. Subscribers get this first and with no ads because I don't know what I'm doing